Custom Search

Wednesday 26 September 2007

Just what is Finger Picking a tab?

It’s an age-old argument. Use a pick or use your fingers?

According to David Hodge,there are many,many ways to do this.But practice is the key.

To start finger picking, it’s best to simply choose a chord and work out a pattern. Different chords use a different number of strings. On some chords you will strum all six strings, but on others only five or even four. So I suggest taking one chord of each. Let’s try G, C and D.

Here’s a rule of thumb : I tend to use my thumb on the three lower (bass, if you prefer) strings (the 4th, 5th and 6th). I will then use my fingers in whatever manner feels most comfortable on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd strings. If you’re just trying this for the first time (and even if you’re not) I would highly recommend trying to do the following:

STRING FINGER
1st ring (a)
2nd middle (m)
3rd index (i)
4th thumb (T)
5th thumb (T)
6th thumb (T)

Malc.Learn to Play Guitar

No comments: